Easter is going to be a little different this year. Not the usual, family gathering, chocolate-filled, day of excitement it often is. But that doesn't mean we can't keep spirits up with adapted traditions, support local businesses or surprise someone with a chocolate treat. In fact sometimes, nothing says it better. So here's our list of [mostly] UK based Chocolate companies to add a touch of sweetness to your day, or someone else's.
1. Pump Street Chocolate: [photographed] Made in Suffolk, this small-batch bean-to-bar chocolate is a must-have on our chocolate Easter wish list. In theme with our up-cycling concept is their Sourdough and Sea Salt bar which uses the Sourdough crumbs from their bakery to add crunch to the bar. Otherwise, they have a range of Easter-themed goodies you can have delivered for the Weekend.
2. Heist Chocolate: Made in Cardiff, Wales. Hand made and hand wrapped with love and care by Mickey. Specializing in micro-batches of stone ground chocolate using single origin, organic, cocoa beans. Need we say more.
3. The Chocolarder: Made in Cornwall. Bean-bar chocolate that's ethical AND sustainable. Using organic beans from their family-run plantations in Venezuela, Java, Madagascar, Peru, and the Dominican Republic. Wrapping their chocolate in plastic-free packaging, they have a delightful range of large Easter Eggs to deliver to you.
4. Land Chocolate: Made in the heart of Hackney, London. An award-winning single-origin bean-to-bar chocolate. Inspired by a trip to Central America, Phil created Land Chocolate using a complex variety of beans from Nicaragua. Beautiful minimal packaging, this locally made chocolate is one every Londoner should support.
5. York Cocoa Works: Made in York. Using fine flavourful cocoa from their trusted sourcing partners around the world to be combined with British ingredients to create fine chocolate. They have every sized Easter egg ready and waiting for you to order.
6. J.Cocoa: Made in Sussex. This small-batch bean-to-bar chocolate is ethically sourced and sustainably made. Sourcing only the finest cocoa beans from around the globe, directly trading with cocoa farmers to ensure they receive a true premium for their work. The packaging is zero waste; being glueless, recyclable, biodegradable and compostable. Oh, and did we mention it's delicious?
7. Tony's Chocolonely: We are big fans of Tonys, the blocks of chocolate are so satisfyingly large they will please even the hungriest of choccy munchers. 100% slave-free chocolate this brand has a beautiful story behind it too. Started by a Dutch TV journalist who exposed the criminality behind the chocolate supply chain, realizing something needed to be done, started his own chocolate company making it slave free and continues to spread the message of the chocolate industry.
So hop to it, order quick before chocolates run out.
Photo © Pump St. Chocolate.